According to DW News, China has filed a complaint with France over an alleged attack on a bus transporting Chinese visitors during the nation’s intense protests over the deadly police shooting of a teenage boy.
The bus transporting the Chinese tourists was attacked in Marseille, a southern city that has remained a hotbed of violence.
According to DW News, China’s Consulate General in Marseille filed an official complaint alleging that protesters smashed the bus’s glass, causing minor injuries.
The attack occurred on Thursday, according to Chinese state broadcaster CCTV. The tourists have since left France, according to the consulate.The Chinese consulate has also issued a warning to its citizens planning to visit France.
The consulate has also warned Chinese nationals planning to visit France to be cautious and vigilant.
Meanwhile, the French Interior Ministry reported that 719 people were detained by police in connection with Saturday’s rioting.
It also stated that 45 police officers were hurt during the “resolute action” that resulted in a “calmer night” after being deployed for days to manage the violence.
“45000 police officers and gendarmes, as well as thousands of firefighters, were mobilised to protect and ensure republican order.” “Their steadfast action, coordinated by the prefects, allowed for a calmer night,” the Interior Ministry said in a tweet.
CNN claimed that the mansion of a Mayor of a Paris suburb was attacked early Sunday morning amid intense protests.
“At 1:30 a.m., while I was at the city hall like the previous three nights,” said mayor Vincent Jeanbrun of L’Hay-les-Roses, a commune in Paris’s southern suburbs.
Protests occurred in France following the murder of Nahel Merzouk, 17, who was shot by a police officer in Nanterre earlier this week. Nahel Merzouk’s funeral was held at a mosque in Nanterre on Saturday, with considerable security present.
According to CNN, Nahel Merzouk’s death has triggered a debate about policing in France’s marginalised communities and raised doubts about whether race had a factor in his death.
The officer accused of shooting him was arrested. Mounia Merzouk, Nahel Merzouk’s mother, told French television station France 5 on Friday that her son’s murder was solely the fault of the officer who shot him.